VISITING SCHOLAR SCHEME
Closing Date: 15 Jan 2024
The Hong Kong History Centre, based in the School of Humanities at the University of Bristol (UK) is now welcoming applications from visiting scholars. The scheme welcomes expressions of interest globally from colleagues at various stages of their career who would like to contribute to, and benefit from, research activities at the Centre.
For the academic year 2023-2024 we have the following funded opportunities available:
- Two visiting Research Associate positions. These are for applicants at any stage of their academic career (Early Career to Professorship) working on the history of Hong Kong, to progress their own projects and to contribute to the activities of the Centre, the School and wider Faculty of Arts. We welcome visitors for 1-3 months and in support of this activity the Centre can reimburse, against receipts, travel and subsistence costs of up to £3,000.
- Two visiting Postgraduate Research (PGR) student positions. These are for applicants who are registered as current research students at another university and who are working on the history of Hong Kong. Candidates will be expected to engage with the research community in the Centre and the School as appropriate. We welcome visiting PGR Students for 1-3 months and in support of this activity the Centre can reimburse, against receipts, travel and subsistence costs of up to £2,000 per student.
Visitors will be provided with access to shared office space, and the library, and can benefit generally from a wealth of subject-specific resources from the Centre, School and wider University. In addition, you will be able to enjoy:
- Development of new research relationships and access to a wide variety of research-related events.
- The opportunity to participate in the life of the Hong Kong History Centre, the world’s first research centre focusing on the study of Hong Kong history.
- Opportunities to present your research to colleagues and postgraduates within the History Department for peer support and input.
We are also able to consider applicants who are 100 per cent self-funded (by their home institution or other awards).
The deadline for all applications for joining us in academic year 2023-24 is 15 January 2024.
Would you like to apply?
Application Process: Visiting Research Associate
If you are interested in applying as a Visiting Research Associate, the first step is to make contact with a potential sponsor from academic members of staff within the Hong Kong History Centre. If a sponsor agrees that your visit would be mutually beneficial, please submit your expression of interest to email@example.com, attaching:
- Your CV
- A letter of recommendation
- A summary of your research project during your time in Bristol, including brief details of proposed research question, methodology, timetable, outcomes and how the visit contributes to the Hong Kong History Centre research and interests of individual members of staff.
Selection will be based on the relevance of the research topic to the research themes active in the Centre, and final decisions will be made by the sponsor in liaison with the Centre Research Director. A good standard of English is essential.
If approved, you will be invited to complete the application process and you will receive a letter confirming your place as a ‘Visiting Research Associate’ and the dates of your intended stay.
Application Process: Visiting Postgraduate Research (PGR) student
If you wish to apply to come to the Hong Kong History Centre as visiting student, you must first secure the agreement of a member of academic staff to act as your supervisor for the duration of your visit before you submit your application. Please refer to our website to find staff members whose research area matches your interests. You should contact them directly, using the contact details provided in the website.
Once you have secured the agreement of a potential supervisor and have agreed the dates for your visit with them, please submit your expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org attaching:
- Your CV
- A cover letter
- A supporting statement from your supervisor
- A 500-word outline of the proposed research at Bristol indicating the reasons for requesting visiting postgraduate researcher status, including current PhD project, goals and expected outcomes of your visit, and which academic(s) amongst current Hong Kong History Centre staff you will be working with.
If approved, you will be invited to complete the application process and you will receive a letter confirming your place as a ‘Visiting PGR Student’ and the dates of your intended stay.
Applications will be considered only after the deadline of 15 January, and we will then notify successful applicants before the end of January 2024.